Design-building is an increasingly popular approach to construction project delivery that combines the design and construction phases into a single, seamless process. This approach offers many advantages over traditional design-bid-build methods, especially when it comes to metal building construction. As one of the top commercial construction companies in Edmonton, Arpi’s North has used the design-build approach to complete some of the most impressive projects in Western Canada.
Benefits of Design-Build in Metal Building Construction
There are several advantages to using the design-build method in metal building construction, including:
- Faster Project Completion: One of the greatest advantages of the design-build process is that it allows for faster project completion times. Because the design and construction stages happen simultaneously, construction can begin work before the design is fully complete. This can help to significantly reduce the overall project timeline, and ensure work is completed quicker.
- Cost Savings: The design-build method can also lead to cost savings. By working together from the beginning of the project, the design and construction teams can identify and address potential cost-saving opportunities before construction begins. Additionally, there are fewer change orders and unexpected expenses that can drive up costs, thanks to the streamlined process.
- Improved Communication: Communication is key in any construction project, and the design-build method fosters better communication between the design and construction teams. Because they work together from the beginning of the project, the teams can collaborate and coordinate more effectively, reducing misunderstandings and delays.
- Increased Accountability: With the design-build method, the same team is responsible for both the design and construction phases of the project. This means that the team is more invested in the success of the project and is more accountable for its outcome.
The Design-Build Process for Metal Building Construction
The design-build process for metal building construction typically involves the following stages:
- Planning and Pre-Design: This stage involves defining the project goals and objectives, determining the budget, and identifying any site-specific considerations.
- Design: During this stage, the design team works with the client to create a design that meets their needs and incorporates any site-specific considerations. Having the construction team involved from the beginning enables them to provide input on materials and construction methods that will work best for the project.
- Pre-Construction: Once the design is complete, the construction team begins preparing for construction. This may involve obtaining permits, ordering materials, and scheduling subcontractors.
- Construction: The construction phase involves the actual building of the project. Because the design and construction teams are working together, any issues that arise can be quickly addressed and resolved.
- Post-Construction: Once construction is complete, the project is turned over to the client. The design-build team will typically provide ongoing support and maintenance to ensure that the building continues to function as intended.
Overall, the design-build method is an effective approach to metal building construction that allows for numerous benefits between the design and construction teams, including cost savings, more effective communication, and faster project completion. As one of the top commercial construction companies in Edmonton, Arpi’s North has the expertise and experience you need to make your next design-build project a success. Contact us today and see what’s possible!